Match Report Y10 Football - Tuesday 24 September

Oxted v RAAS - Spencer Park Trophy (Surrey Cup)
Final Score 5 - 5 after extra time
(Oxted won 4 - 1 on penalties)


Team: Ben Ball, Aaron Critall, Fraser Garratt, Ross Hearnden (GK), Charlie Hunt, Matt O'Donoghue, Benn Rickman, Christen Ryan, Ben Styles, Jack Tickner, Elliot Williams (C)

Oxted and RAAS produced a highly entertaining game of football on a fine afternoon in the first round of the Surrey Cup. The team was bolstered by the return of a number of first team players after their defeat to St Bedes the previous day. However, things did not get off to a good start for Oxted with RAAS scoring immediately from kick off. RAAS continued to impose their dominance on the game in the early stages, scoring two more goals in quick succession, giving the away side a commanding 3-0 lead after only 10 minutes.

A turning moment in the game then followed with an injury to a RAAS player forcing him from the field and with no substitutes available the away side were forced to play the remainder of the game with only 10 men. This proved to be crucial and with the numerical advantage Oxted rallied and forced their way back into the game. Goals from Fraser Garratt and Aaron Crittall gave the team a way back into the match and when Ben Styles equalised with 5 minutes to go in the first half, it completed a superb fight back. However, a momentary lapse in concentration in defence in the final moments of the half lead to Charlie Hunt handling the ball in the area to concede a penalty, which RAAS duly converted to regain their lead and meant Oxted were once again trailing at half time 4-3.

Oxted did not let this set back deter them and started the second half in a positive high tempo fashion creating early chances but failing to convert them. A change of formation for RAAS appeared to have sorted out their defensive frailties of the first half (caused by losing a player to injury) and with Captain Elliot Williams having an outstanding game in the heart of defence for Oxted, clear cut chances were restricted for both teams. Oxted had the better of possession throughout the second half and finally made this dominance pay when Ben Styles equalised again with 10 minutes to go. Oxted continued to pile on the pressure but a lack of composure in front of goal meant the game finished 4-4 at the end of normal time, forcing the game to go into extra time.

Oxted started extra time the better side and took a well-deserved lead for the first time in the game when Matt O'Donoghue met a Fraser Garratt corner with a thumping header. Oxted held this narrow lead into the start of the second half of extra time when an outstanding individual goal from a RAAS player once again levelled the scores at 5-5, which it then remained until the end of extra time, forcing the game to go to a penalty shoot-out.

Ben Ball confidently stepped up to score the first penalty for Oxted and with a good save from keeper Ross Hearnden meant Oxted held the early advantage. Fraser Garratt confidently dispatched his penalty and RAAS followed suit, leaving it to Matt O'Donoghue to slot his spot kick away and another great save from Ross Hearnden for Oxted to lead 3-1 after 3 penalties each. Captain Elliot Williams then stepped up to score the winning penalty in emphatic style, which was a fitting way to cap his man of the match performance.

It was great team performance all round from the players and they now look forward to facing either Richard Challoner or Hollyfield in the second round of the Surrey Cup.


Mr Sillience

View Image