Year 9 Rugby Match Report - Saturday 6 December



George Walker, Matt Gardiner, Oli Sweeney, Ben Hookway, Fin Jenner, Xav Copp, Rhys Clutterbuck, Owen Hulme, Sammy Carlisle, Ben Johnson, Dean Bennett, Max McAuliffe (captain), Harry Hardisty, Oli Evans, Michael Dickinson, Tom Morales-Saunders

The Oxted rugby pitches resisted the worst of the early morning frost, and were deemed playable for the return fixture against Richard Challoner. Oxted’ s team had a new look due to a number of key changes due to injury, illness and unavailability.

The opposition looked hungry from the kick off to nullify Oxted’s away victory from a fortnight ago. Challoner started at a ferocious pace that Oxted were struggling to contain, and it was not long before they exploited a wide overlap for their right winger to score their first try. Oxted’s defence appeared lethargic and again a series of mixed tackled in the midfield saw Challoner cross for their second try making the score 0-12. Oxted then kick started their performance with some effective forward carries from No. 8 Owen Hulme and eventually Oli Sweeney crashed over from short range.  

Challoner then applied more pressure and some lack lustre rucking saw Oxted turn over the ball on the half way line, and a series of breaks from the Challoner backs resulted in their third try, making the half time score line 19-5 to the opposition. The team talk at half time focused on Oxted working harder to retain the ball and supporting each other into the contact through more aggressive rucking.

Oxted seemed to take this on board and they looked like a new team in the second half. With Oxted’s pack fighting hard with a series of short carries, effective knee drive to get some attacking ‘go forward’ that were lacking in the first half. Rhys Clutterbuck came alive with some excellent running with ball in hand, as did Owen Hulme, Fin Jenner and Oli Sweeney. A penalty on Challoner’s five metre line, saw Sammy Carlisle take a quick tap and passed inside to George Walker who crashed over some would-be tacklers to score Oxted second try, to make the score 12-19.

Only 7 points down Oxted again attacked the breakdown with vigour, and due to the increased support play, they could retain the ball and set up phase after phase of attacking play. Some excellent interplay from Ben Johnson and Fin Jenner, saw Rhys Clutterbuck outpace the covering defence to touch down in the left corner, making the score 17-19. A tight and exciting last five minutes ensued, an unfortunate Oxted knock-on, saw Challoner clear their lines and the final whistle to be blown.

Oxted should be very proud of the way they approached the second half, after a below par opening half (5-19) they re-grouped and came out fighting to win the second half 12-0.

A tough game awaits next week as we face Tiffin School at home.


Man of the match – Rhys Clutterbuck




Mr Faulkner

View Image